Thursday 4 August 2011

Holy Barking Bacon Biscuits Batman!

Now there is on odd blog title if I ever saw one but I thought I'd take a break from the usual baking regime and mix it up (quite literally - sorry I can't resist a pun) and make some dog biscuits for my favourite four legged creature. He's still a puppy and prone to behaving badly but he only has to show me his bat ears and he reverts to the really tiny puppy we brought home 9 months ago.

As we speak he is sitting by the oven door and the rest of the cooling biscuits whining for more. That's what I call advertising and a good recommendation. Tiger gives these biscuits 5 out of 5 paw prints!

So here's the recipe....oh the measurements may appear odd but I reverted to my default Canadian measuring and didn't weigh the ingredients as I went. I'll try and update that in the future.

Barking Bacon Biscuits (makes about 86 small bones)

2 1/2 cups (625ml) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (125 ml) skim milk powder
1 tsp. garlic granules/powder
1 tbsp. oat bran or wheat germ or ground oats
1 tsp. beef stock granules (or real stock instead of the water 125ml)
1/3 cup (80 ml) bacon drippings
1 egg
1/2 cup (125 ml) cold water or the stock as mentioned above
3 rashers of cooked bacon ground up in a food processor or chopped up superfine

  • Mix all dry ingredients together (everything but drippings, egg and water)
  • Mix in drippings, once mixed it will be like fresh breadcrumbs
  • Mix in egg and then add enough water so that it will form a ball when mixed. You may need to add a little more or less depending upon your ingredients
  • Roll out (like pastry) using a rolling pin until approximately 1/2" thick.
  • Cut out into shapes, I used a bone shaped cutter that was about 2" long but you can cut into any shape you and your dog like
  • Lay out on a baking sheet, no need to grease or space too far apart as the biscuits don't spread it's more like you are crisping them and drying them out.
  • Bake at 180° (160° fan) for about 25 minutes, leave to cool before rewarding your dog!
As there is bacon in them I will be keeping them in the refrigerator but I don't think they will last long. Oh and a disclaimer....I'm not a dog nutrionist, but it stands to reason that if you feed your dog loads of extra biscuits you may need to adjust their meal portion size and use your judgement about whether they are suitable for your pet.

Must go, the dog is now driving me insane with his whining!

No comments:

Post a Comment